Thank you for your interest in employment with the Benbrook Public Library. The application you submit will be reviewed and evaluated based upon the information you have supplied. Failure on your part to furnish all or part of the information requested may result in denial of your application. Employment is subject to an applicant satisfying the Library’s requirement as to morals, character, references and physical examination. The Benbrook Public Library does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability status in employment or the provision of services.
JOB POSTING for On Call Library Assistant
Hours: On-call (no guaranteed hours): called as needed, mainly to substitute for absent opening Circulation staff.
Under general supervision by the Circulation Manager, assists patrons in borrowing library materials; assists patrons in using the library by answering general inquiries and referring them to appropriate staff; and manages patron accounts in automation system. The ideal candidate is an early riser who would be able to arrive at the Benbrook Public Library to begin opening procedures at 7:30 in the morning on short notice.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
1. Using automated library system software, checks in and out library materials for the patrons
2. Registers new borrowers and manages existing borrower accounts in the Polaris automation system
3. Receives fines, fees, and other payments through the point-of-sale cash register
4. Monitors the Envisionware public access computer time management, reservation, and print cost recovery system
5. Provides extended customer service, in the absence of Reference Desk staff, for patrons including locating requested materials in Polaris and placing hold requests as well as other services normally assigned to Reference Desk staff.
6. Manually records statistics that are not produced by the Polaris automation system
7. Answers telephone calls and directs them to the appropriate staff, when telephone is not answered by the Information Desk staff
8. Prepares materials for shipment to other libraries
9. Locates and processes reserved items for clients and maintains the Holds Report List
10. Processes holds received by the area libraries courier each week
11. Performs cursory quality assurance of library materials as they are checked in and out
12. Files and pulls DVDs in the DVD cabinet
13. Performs cursory quality assurance while checking in and out laptop computers and other library equipment to the public
14. Conducts opening and closing procedures as needed
15. Exhibits professionalism and superior customer service disposition
16. Performs other duties as assigned
Minimum qualifications: Education, Training, Experience, Specific Licenses or Certifications:
High school diploma, some college preferred
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Knowledge of basic library functions, policies, procedures and practices; basic knowledge of library classification and organization; familiar with the content and use of the library’s collections; knowledge of library’s electronic resources
Ability to operate library’s automation system; ability to communicate effectively; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, patrons, and volunteers
If you have any questions, please contact Sheryl at 817-249-6632. The application can be dropped off at the Circulation Desk, or emailed to email@example.com. Thank you!